The end of the year is a time for family, religious celebrations, relaxation, and, most importantly, reflection. One of my favorite movie quotes from Ferris Bueller, ” Life moves pretty fast, and if you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”
Personally, this is the time of year to hit the pause button to reflect on the year and look around at your adventures, successes, challenges, and missed opportunities.
One of my favorite quotes from my father, when I turned 50, was, ”if you thought going from 20 to 50 went quickly, going from 50-80 goes twice as fast. With my father turning 90 next year, I thought, this would be an opportune time to share his words of wisdom to me and, at the same time, share my advice to my son.
…. Advice from my Father
1. The family will be your lasting legacy
2. Honesty & Compassion are the cornerstones of life
3. Material objects are temporary, personal relationships are permanent
4. Choose friends who positively impact your life
5. The higher your financial success, the more significant the impact you should have on your community
6. Tell great jokes
7. Do not take yourself to seriously
8. Do not sweat the little things
9. Show up every day
10. Enjoy the journey
11. Take many vacations and stay active
12. The most potent word in any negotiation is ”No.”
13. You make money on the buy
14. Never fall in love with any deal, be prepared to walk away from any agreement (walking away is better than making a bad deal)
….. Advice to my son
- Be Patient
- Find a good mentor
- Do not be afraid to make mistakes, it’s the best way to learn
- Stay even-keeled
- Be Ok in uncomfortable places
- Learn a second language
- Always Demand & Give Respect!!
- Take Responsibility
- Keep it Simple
- Call your mother
- Be an influential Community Activist
- Bring value to friends, family & clients
- Protect Public lands
- Pick up three pieces of trash every day
- Marry your best friend!!
In the spirit of the season, please add words of wisdom or advice on either side of the spectrum!!
Wishing my family, friends & clients a happy, healthy & prosperous 2020!!